-
Senators call for investigation into handling of State Farm complaints - 5 mins ago
-
Another Winter Storm Could Deliver More Snow to the Northeast This Weekend - 39 mins ago
-
Thieves steal $20,000 in Pokémon cards from Anaheim shop - 47 mins ago
-
Was Anyone at Fault in Sierra Nevada Avalanche Deaths? - about 1 hour ago
-
DHS Confirms ICE Agent Fatally Shot US Citizen in 2025 - 2 hours ago
-
C.I.A. Retracts Reports Flagged for Bias - 2 hours ago
-
State fire marshal misses deadline for apartment building safety report, angering housing advocates - 2 hours ago
-
Bondi claims win in ICE mask ban fight; court ruled on different case - 3 hours ago
-
The Supreme Court’s Declaration of Independence - 3 hours ago
-
UK Government Considers Removing Andrew From Royal Line of Succession - 3 hours ago
UK Government Considers Removing Andrew From Royal Line of Succession
Some parties in British Parliament have signaled support for legislation that would strip Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formally Prince Andrew, of his place in the royal line of succession, ensuring he can never be king.
Newsweek reached out to the House of Commons by email on Friday afternoon for comment.
Why It Matters
Mountbatten‑Windsor was arrested by U.K. police this week on suspicion of misconduct in public office, marking an unprecedented moment for a senior modern royal.
The arrest followed renewed scrutiny of documents released in the Epstein files and allegations that Mountbatten‑Windsor may have shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein while serving as a U.K. trade envoy, claims he has consistently denied. He was released under investigation while inquiries continue.
However, his connection to Epstein has been a long‑running scandal, most prominently centered around Virginia Giuffre’s accusation that Mountbatten-Windsor sexually abused her in 2001 when she was 17. He denied the accusation and settled a U.S. civil lawsuit in 2022 without admitting liability.
The relationship cost Mountbatten-Windsor his royal duties, military titles and public standing, and it has continued to draw legal and political attention on both sides of the Atlantic.

What To Know
The latest allegations and revelations have prompted the Liberal Democrats (Lib-Dems) and Scottish National Party (SNP) to push for Mountbatten-Windsor’s removal from the line of succession. Any such move would occur following the police investigation, which is underway.
British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said in October last year that he had no plans to introduce such legislation, which would require an act of Parliament, approved by members of parliament (MPs) and peers in the House of Lords, according to the BBC.
The act would also require approval from the 14 Commonwealth countries that still hold King Charles III as their head of state—including Canada, Australia, Jamaica, and New Zealand—as the change would also alter their line of succession.
Some members of the ruling Labour party have criticized the monarchy but told the BBC that they remained unconvinced the government needed to get involved in changing the line of succession, largely because it remains incredibly unlikely that the man positioned eighth in line would get anywhere near the throne.
However, at least one Labour MP, Rachel Maskell of York Central, said she would support the move alongside her colleagues from the Lib-Dems and SNP.
Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch urged the government to “give space” to the police investigation as it unfolds.
Her colleague, shadow Scotland Secretary Andrew Bowie, told GB News it would “be the decent thing” for Mountbatten-Windsor to remove himself from the line of succession, even as he noted that the former prince has “not been found guilty of anything” and “has yet to be charged with anything,” and that any action should only occur following the investigation.
What People Are Saying
Scotland Secretary Andrew Bowie told GB News: “I think until the investigations have concluded, however, yes, of course, if he is found guilty of this, I think Parliament would be well within its rights to act and remove him from the line of succession.”
Alex Armstrong of GB News, on X: “This will take a ridiculous amount of time to do and Andrew is never going to be king even if he’s in line (eighth). This government is up to its eyeballs in scandal and sleaze. Why don’t they get on with governing for a change and put the resources into the rape gang inquiry?”
What Happens Next
The police investigation continues to unfold, with no indication as to how long it will take.
In a polarized era, the center is dismissed as bland. At Newsweek, ours is different: The Courageous Center—it’s not “both sides,” it’s sharp, challenging and alive with ideas. We follow facts, not factions. If that sounds like the kind of journalism you want to see thrive, we need you.
When you become a Newsweek Member, you support a mission to keep the center strong and vibrant. Members enjoy: Ad-free browsing, exclusive content and editor conversations. Help keep the center courageous. Join today.
Source link








