-
Russia’s Exile From World Sports Will End Next Month at Paralympics - 18 mins ago
-
The Behind the Scenes Search for Compromise on Territory in Ukraine Talks - about 1 hour ago
-
As search for Tahoe skiers continues, some wonder why they were in the backcountry in a blizzard - about 1 hour ago
-
A New Concern About Weight Loss Drugs: What if They Work Too Well? - 2 hours ago
-
When Are March 2026 VA Benefit Payments Coming? - 2 hours ago
-
F.D.A. Reverses Decision and Agrees to Review Moderna’s Flu Vaccine - 2 hours ago
-
Opinion | Democrats Win in Texas With Candidates Like Taylor Rehmet - 3 hours ago
-
Citing fire risk, L.A. city may get more power to remove hillside homeless encampments - 3 hours ago
-
At These Gaza Schools, ‘Peace Building’ Is Part of the Curriculum - 4 hours ago
-
Canadian snowbirds are still unhappy with Trump. And Palm Springs is feeling the chill - 4 hours ago
Federal authorities arrest former Canadian Olympic snowboarder turned drug lord
Ryan Wedding, a former Canadian Olympic snowboarder who allegedly became the head of a billion-dollar drug trafficking organization, has been apprehended by authorities in Mexico, U.S. officials announced Friday.
Authorities said Wedding, who is believed to have been in hiding for more than a decade and is on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list, was apprehended in Mexico Thursday night and is being returned to the U.S. Two sources told the Times that Wedding negotiated his surrender.
Wedding’s arrest is slated to be announced at a news conference in Ontario with FBI Director Kash Patel and other officials on Friday morning.
“This is a huge day for a safer North America, and the world, and a message that those who break our laws and harm our citizens will be brought to justice,” Patel posted on X.
Atty. Gen. Pam Bondi also shared the news on X, calling it “a direct result of President Trump’s law-and-order leadership.” Under the president, she said, “criminals have no safe harbor.”
Wedding allegedly became a major trafficker of cocaine into Canada and the United States and a ruthless leader who ordered killings, including that of a witness in a 2024 federal narcotics case against him. The order resulted in the victim being shot to death in a restaurant in Medellín, Colombia, in January 2025, prosecutors said.
On Friday, Mexican Security Minister Omar García Harfuch posted on X that Patel was returning to the U.S. with two priority targets: “a non-U.S. person who was detained by Mexican authorities among the FBI’s 10 most wanted and a Canadian citizen who voluntarily surrendered” at the U.S. Embassy.
Wedding’s capture follows another mass transfer of cartel suspects from Mexico to U.S. custody, with authorities south of the border handing over 37 inmates for prosecution. The Department of Justice said the defendants include high-ranking members of the Jalisco New Generation, Sinaloa and Gulf cartels.
Extraditions of high-level cartel suspects from Mexico have in past eras taken years to accomplish. Now, as it faces pressure from the Trump administration, the Mexican government has began moving quickly to expel some key figures outside of the standard process.
Wedding was previously charged in a 2024 indictment with running a continuing criminal enterprise, assorted drug trafficking charges and directing the murders of two members of a family in Canada in retaliation for a stolen drug shipment.
He was charged with running a drug ring that used semi trucks to move cocaine between Colombia, Mexico, Southern California and Canada. Authorities said his aliases included “El Jefe,” “Public Enemy” and “James Conrad Kin.”
Wedding competed for his home country, Canada, in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.
Mexican officials last year began handing over dozens of alleged cartel leaders facing charges in U.S. federal courts, including Andrew Clark, Wedding’s alleged lieutenant, who is facing prosecution in Los Angeles.
In December, The New York Times cited U.S. and Canadian court documents that indicated Clark had started cooperating with authorities against his former boss. The records reportedly showed a witness believed to be Clark had “agreed to assist U.S. authorities in the investigation of Wedding’s organization.”
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Source link





