Teens on La Brea Tar Pits trip hospitalized due to ‘cannabis edibles’

Eight high school students on a school trip at the La Brea Tar Pits were hospitalized Tuesday afternoon after apparently ingesting cannabis edibles, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.

Los Angeles firefighters responded to a call about three unconscious teenage boys at 12:45 p.m. at 5801 W. Wilshire Blvd., said Brian Humphrey, an LAFD spokesperson. He said a security guard for the park called about the young men.

Upon arriving, firefighters located the three young men as well as five others, some of whom were girls, Humphrey said. The eight young people were experiencing “altered level of consciousness” after they apparently ingested “cannabis edibles,” he said.

Dalesy Casasola, a spokesperson for the Natural History Museum of L.A. County, which oversees the La Brea Tar Pits, said in a statement to The Times that several high school students who were on a chaperoned field trip to the Tar Pits when they became ill.

“Our staff acted quickly to assess the situation and seek medical aid,” Casasola wrote. “According to first responders, their symptoms were caused by something the students ingested on their own, unrelated to the visit to La Brea Tar Pits.”

L.A. fire paramedics took the eight people to a nearby hospital. Their conditions were unknown.

This is a developing story. It will be updated when more information is available.

Source link